Delhi (pronounced DEL-High) is a former township (now an unincorporated community) located off of the junction of Ontario Highways 59 and 3. Delhi is known as the "Heart of Tobacco Country." Prior to 1880, this community was known for its lumber industry.
Founded by Frederick Sovereign as Sovereign's Corners around 1826, the community was renamed Fredericksburg and eventually to its present-day name of Delhi. The name is usually attributed locally to a postmaster honouring a major city of the British Empire, Delhi, India.
Delhi Cemetery was first established sometime in the 19th century. While it was originally a cemetery exclusively for residents who were religiously involved in the Roman Catholic Church, changes in cemetery policy made it possible to have anyone buried or interned on their property. At least 111 people and/or families hold their final resting place here. The last names of the graves belong to different ethnic groups ranging from Anglo-Saxon, French Canadian, Eastern European, and those of Belgian descent. There are even few Chinese families buried within the cemetery and a wide amount of tombstones are written in languages other than English.